Thursday, August 31, 2006

Write-Thinking Folk

OK, so some freelancer named gets himself an article on Slate about Deadwood. That's fine. I like reading about Deadwood almost as much as I like watching it.
And MacIntrye's not enamored of series creator David Milch, which I can also accept. My guess is, after the season finale this year, a lot of people are not enamored of Milch. (I don't happen to be one of them, but I can accept that there are people like that out there.)
I can even accept that he thinks Milch may be a huckster who "dresses up his auteurlike compulsiveness with a professorial bearing and impressive erudition."
Here's where I draw the line. I quote:
He's given to repeating gauzy platitudes, such as a line from the scientist Friedrich August Kekule, that "what writing should be is a going out in spirit," and this precious aphorism of craft: "You can't think your way to write action; you can only act your way to write thinking."
See, here's the thing. Leave aside whether you've ever known anyone into self-help or in any one of a scad of recovery programs. Just Google "think your way into write action." You get "Your search - 'think your way into write action' - did not match any documents." Now Google the homonymic "think your way into right action." (Now, just for fun, try "act your way into [right/write] thinking.")
I quote again from the illustrious Mr. MacIntyre:
The lesson to any would-be TV provocateur: Do the research.
Do as he says, not as he does.

No comments: